When it comes to creative and innovative ways to reuse old clothing, nothing beats a basket. In this article, we will show you how to make a basket from a T-shirt in just a few simple steps. By using some of your old T-shirts, you can create something beautiful and useful—a perfect addition to any home or office. Not only that, but recycling old clothing into new products helps reduce pollution and waste. So why not give this recycled fashion trend a try? You may be surprised at the results.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need:
-Ruler or a straight edge
-Glue gun and glue sticks
-Paint or a fabric dye in a color of your choice
1. Choose the T-shirt that you want to use as your basket material. If it’s faded, ripped, or has any holes, be sure to remove these before beginning your project.
2. Cut the T-shirt into a square or rectangle that is about 2 inches wider by 2 inches longer than the size of your basket you desire. Note: The finished size of the basket will be approximately 18 inches wide by 24 inches long.
3. Center the t-shirt on the straight edge and trace around it with the ruler or straight edge. Be sure to keep both ends of the ruler/straight edge aligned when tracing. If you have a seam allowance on your shirt, be sure to add this to your traced measurements.
4. Once your outline is complete, cut out the t-shirt with scissors. If you want a more rustic look, consider leaving some of the original fabric behind on one side of the t-shirt after cutting (see step 5). This will create a more distressed appearance and is up to personal preference.
5. Tip: To prevent fraying and unraveling while following steps 6 through 8, try using some type of glue stick instead of traditional glue
How to Make the Basket
There are a few different ways to make a basket from a T-shirt. You can use one of the methods below, or mix and match!
Method 1: Place the T-shirt on a flat surface and fold it in half lengthwise. Then fold it in half widthwise.
Method 2: Start by folding each end of the T-shirt in towards the center, so that you have two long loops. Make sure to keep the shirt folded so that the logo is facing outwards. Now, hold each loop up towards the top of your head and twist them around each other once or twice.
Method 3: If you want a more complicated basket, try this method! Take one end of the T-shirt and fold it in half again, then unfold it so that the front and back panels are both facing outwards. Now place one panel inside of the other and press down gently to secure. Repeat with the other panel.
Tips for Making a Better Basket
There are many ways to make a basket from a T-shirt, but the easiest and most foolproof way is to cut the shirt into a square or rectangle, then fold it in half. Make the folds exactly in the middle of each side, so you have four equal sections. Then crease these folds, so they look like indents.
To make the basket, simply unfold each fold and place it on top of the other folded section. Pin them together if needed so that they’re stable. Finally, tuck any excess fabric underneath the pins. That’s it! You now have a pretty and sturdy basket.